Making lists and crossing things off my lists make me happy. Like really happy.
So much so, in college I’d make daily to do lists that actually included things like – wake up, brush teeth, shower, eat lunch, etc. It’s not that I needed a reminder to do these things, but because I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment once I get to cross something off my list, I’d put super simple things on there to make me feel better about what I’d done in a day. So even if I didn’t do the big things like finish a paper or read five chapters in a textbook, I could look at my list at the end of the day and see that I actually did things I could cross off. Even if that thing was just waking up. Call it what you will, but that’s how I roll.
This week, one of my favorite food bloggers, posted a summer bucket list. Not only did I freak out because I love lists, but also because I feel like every summer I make such grand plans in my head for things I want to do and then when September rolls around, I feel bummed that I didn’t do a lot of them. This list will (hopefully) hold me accountable and make this a fantastic summer!
So here we go…MY 2014 SUMMER BUCKET LIST to be completed Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend (May 24 – September 1).
- Read 7 books. I’ve totally fallen off the book-reading wagon as of late and need to hop back on!
- Exercise as much as possible. NO EXCUSES!
- Go to 3 outdoor concerts. I already have one on my calendar!
- Go to the beach at least 5 times. This one seems silly because I live in San Diego, but I honestly don’t go to the beach that often. I think the last time I went was New Year’s Eve!
- Take a vacation! We’ve already got dates marked off, but now we need to decide where to go and actually make the plans!
- Go to another movie at Cinema Under the Stars.
- Go to 3 baseball games. In high school and during my summers home from college, I pretty much lived at the Oakland Coliseum where the A’s play. So much so, that all of the ushers, ticket takers and A’s relief pitchers knew my name (I would sit right near the A’s bullpen). Since moving to San Diego, I haven’t really ever followed the Padres and haven’t been able to make the trip to Oakland for nearly as many games as I’d like. Hopefully I can change that!
- Actually take my bike out for a ride. I bought a bike last year when I started my new job since I work about a 1/2 mile from home. My plan was to ride my bike to work everyday, but instead I’ve just been walking and my bike is collecting dust. I WILL take at least one bike ride this summer.
- Have a picnic in the park. I got engaged during a picnic in a park, so it’s something I feel like I should do more often for nostalgia’s sake. A couple of years ago, my husband and I had a streak of a few weekends in a row where we’d pack a picnic, head to the park, eat and then play frisbee or read, but it’s been a while.
- Take the ferry to Coronado.
- Make burrata cheese at home.
- Redecorate my living room and bedroom.
- Complete 5 DIY projects around the house.
- Make 4 new ice creams.
- Take a spontaneous day trip.
- Take a walk around my neighborhood at least once a week. My North Park neighborhood ROCKS! Great restaurants, bars, beer tasting rooms and shops open up almost weekly it seems. I’ve been to many, but still have a lot to explore!
- Go to 3 restaurants in San Diego I’ve never been to. I eat at the same places all of the time. I need to branch out!
- Watch a sunset from Sunset Cliffs.
- Go to a farm and pick my own fruit.
- Cross something off of my foodie bucket list.
- Send 10 handwritten cards to friends/family.
- Always have fresh flowers in the house. Who doesn’t love fresh flowers????
- Make a sign and cheer on runners at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon. I’ve always appreciated the well-wishers that line the streets of every race I’ve ran, so I’ll be doing the same this year!
- Have fun, relax and live each day to the fullest!
Okay, there’s my list! I plan on writing mini-updates as I begin to mark things off as well as add to this list as things pop in my head. I’ll post pictures of as many things as I can, so follow me on Twitter and Instagram for updates, too!
Now that I’ve written mine, what’s on your summer bucket list????
I thought you might also like: